Thursday, June 14, 2007

What’s playing now?

Just happened to browse the Top 25 list on my Ipod on the way to work this morning and was quite surprised to see some of the entries. Most wouldn’t rank as my favorites, and I’d be even more surprised if I admitted to people that I liked some of those songs. But I guess listening to music on the Ipod is a very, very different experience, compared to any other music experience. I tend to choose songs because it just goes with a certain mood I happen to be in at that point of time, without wondering where the damn CD is.

So here goes…

1. P.I.M.P. (50cent). Now you see why I was surprised. This song has just grown on me. Every time I am feeling reckless, and slightly high gear, I just tune into this. And this also happens to be the only hip-hop song I’ve heard more than once by choice. Also helps that 50cent, alphabetically is just below 4 Non-blondes. Wassup Gangsta!!!

2. What’s Up!. (4 Non-blondes). While the song does happen to be an old favourite, the reason why it ranks so high is purely alphabetical. Also helps that it often captures a certain state of mind. But seriously T.O. what really is going on???

3. Feel (Robbie Williams). Have no clue how this song crept up my chart. Nice, but not so.

4. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (Greenday). Love the muted “fuck” uttered when Billie Armstrong screws up his opening chords- twice! I have always have had this thing for acoustic stuff and slightly vagrant visions of a “fork stuck in the road”. And in the endgame, is that not what matters most, whether you had the time of your life? I think Greenday is a good band, our coming of age punk rock.

5. I Don’t Wanna Talk About it (Various). Now I know the original (“the” Rod Stewart) is the best, but I somehow like the Indigo Girls version better. Just love it actually. And I also like this band in particular, their activism, taking a stand attitude. Am thinking of doing a post on them later.

6. Chelsea Hotel (Leonard Cohen). Now, that’s a shocker, because I almost always listen to this one and the one that follows only at very select occasions, not because I like them less, but because Cohen does tend to depress me with his absolutely raw lyrics. And also because the music, is no music. Its just not hummable. But lovely lyrics anyway.

7. Famous Blue Raincoat (Leonard Cohen). I love the concept of this song. And that of a thin gypsy thief with a rose in his teeth. But Cohen is depressive, hugely.

8. Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers). Now that’s more like it. Love the peppy, artistic, distinctive music of this band. Much like Coldplay, they make music that one can tell from a mile. Songs like Tell Me Baby, like Snow… and so many others. I find it sad that most places only end up playing Californication.

9. One. (U2/ Johnny Cash). Can’t decide which version is better. While U2 sounds better at Hard Rock Café, Cash (in his baritone voice) is much, much better on the way to work. “Did I disappoint you, leave a bad taste in your mouth? You act like never had love, and you want me to go without”. Wow!!

10. Don’t Cry. GNR. Now this band has that special, special place in my mind. This is the only band that I can say I belongs to my generation, and who grew up with me. November Rain, Don’t Cry and Paradise City. What mind-blowing music.

11. Shook me All Night Long. (AC/DC). Would’ve expected this song to figure much higher on the list, but then, well. What a song, what lyrics, and what a fucking typical AC/DC video.

12. Can I play with Madness? (Iron Maiden). Can I? Can I? Yes, yes! And that is my pep up song as I walk into the trading floor.

13. Diamonds and Rust. (Joan Baez). I like songs with a story, a dedication. Chelsea Hotel for Janis Joplin. D&R for Dylan. “Our breath comes out, white clouds, mingles and hangs in the air”. And elsewhere, “We both know what memories can bring they bring diamonds and rust.” Does it get any better?

14. Build me Up. (The Foundations). Love the movie, the song, peppy, fun, and full of memories.

15. She’s a Rainbow (Rolling Stones). She is, isn’t she? All of seven colours, and sometimes a bit more. The thing about Rolling Stones is that they are such a super live performance band that once you’ve heard them live, you just can’t take it otherwise. My personal grudge against them is that they never sang Ruby Tuesday at the concert I attended. But then… I can’t get no satisfaction!

16. Best of my Love: (The Eagles). My all time favourite Eagles song. “You see it your way and I see it mine, but we both see it slipping away.” Don’t we baby? And you’ll say… Awll the time!!!

Now I’m bored… rest later.

No comments: